First-time visitor? You might like to take a look at the introduction.
Check out the ebook edition—a remastered, expanded, and revised PDF/Kindle/ePub update to the original blog.

Friday 7 December 2012

Day 237

I wasn’t sure what to do today, and nothing much happened at all. I thought about our tactics. We were poor in the midfield and while going forward yesterday (despite the 2-0 win). But I’m sure the problem was people playing in unfamiliar positions. Birchall is considered an accomplished wide player, but he hasn’t been playing there for us. Diagouraga was making his debut. Shuker was playing on the opposite flank to normal. Only one of the four midfielders was in his element (Woods).

Perhaps my problem wasn’t a tactical one, but rather of poor selection. Maybe I made the wrong call for who should start, and who should play where. I was lucky to get away with it, thanks to the defenders doing a fine job.

I think next week I’ll try to pick a team that better plays to our strengths, keeping in mind that familiarity is important. The players get used to their positions, and those of their teammates. I should worry about the team, not the individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment