First-time visitor? You might like to take a look at the introduction.
Check out the ebook edition—a remastered, expanded, and revised PDF/Kindle/ePub update to the original blog.

Monday 7 May 2012

Day 23

We have 28 players in the last year of their contract. That's definitely something I need to keep in mind, since several of them are key members of the squad.
contracts-expiring-2012-05-7-21-06.png
I was asked to decide the squad win bonuses for this season. I opted to give a high league bonus and a high cup bonus. I'll do everything I can to motivate the lads to push for success.
squad-bonuses-2012-05-7-21-06.png
We faced Stoke Reserves in a friendly match today. It was my first opportunity to look at how trialist goalkeeper Martini and new loan signing Chris Atkinson fit into the team. It pleased me to see that we put up a good fight, limiting their chances to long range and managing to go close a few times with our own attacks. But it was a drab first half.
goalie-error-2012-05-7-21-06.jpg
We came out for the second half with a sloppy sense of purpose. That sloppiness hurt, as Stoke Reserves capitalised on poor defending and bad goalkeeping to score the opener. Another mistake from Martini on 62 minutes, where he hesitated to go down to a striker's feet for a save (presumably due to one too many martinis), put us two down. I dragged him after that. Martini will not be getting a contract offer.

We lost 2-nil. I told the boys that it just wasn't our night. They seemed to react well.
teamtalk-2012-05-7-21-06.png
One more friendly match before the season starts (two if you count the practice game the Reserves will play this time next week).

My final task for the day was to look over the scout reports I asked for yesterday, on some of the players recommended by the coaching staff. Essam isn't good enough. Larrauri needs a second look. Husband is good, but no better than what we've got. And Shuker is way better than all of the right wingers in the Lincoln squad—except maybe Bore, who's better when deployed at right back.
shuker-report-2012-05-7-21-06.png
I offered Shuker a contract. He signed right then and there. I hope my scout is right. The lad's now our highest earner; I can't afford him being a flop.

No comments:

Post a Comment